Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Non-Traffic Infractions

This page contains information concerning:

Infractions (Non-Traffic) at a Glance

There are many minor violations which are:

  • Classified as "infractions"
  • Not for violations of the Vehicle Code (commonly known as a traffic ticket)
Examples of non-traffic infraction violations are:
  • Possession of less than 1 ounce of marijuana
  • Fishing without a license, and other specified Fish and Game Code violations
  • City and County Ordinances (also called Municipal Codes) such as no dog license, walking a dog off a leash, no bicycle license, no business license, drinking alcohol in public, removal/possession of a shopping cart, and operation of a vehicle over allowed weight on specified streets
  • Specified Boating violations
  • Specified Parks and Recreation violations
  • Purchase/attempt to purchase or consume alcohol under the age of 21
If your violation is:
  • An infraction of the Vehicle Code, you can read more about traffic tickets in the Traffic Section and Self-Help Section of this website.
  • A misdemeanor or felony, you can read more in the Criminal Section of this website.

An infraction is a minor offense. Most infractions are written on a "ticket" form but infractions can also be filed by the prosecutor on a "complaint" document. An infraction is usually punishable by a fine and if the fine is paid, there is no jail time.

Make sure your ticket has the infraction box checked or the complaint says "infraction" before reading this section. If it says misdemeanor or felony, you can read more in the Criminal Section of this website.

The website explains options available, such as:
  • Obtaining an extension on a due date
  • Paying your ticket
  • How to see a judge
  • Setting a trial date if you think you are not guilty
Other helpful information that you will find in this section includes:
  • Resources and obtaining help with your ticket
  • Online services, including looking up your ticket
  • Courtesy Violation Information Notice information
  • Preparing for a court appearance
  • Appealing a decision of the court

Assistance In Person or Online


Even though your offense is not Traffic related, it is filed and processed in the Traffic Division. Court staff is available from 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday-Friday to accept payments and proof of correction, schedule court dates, give extensions on due dates, file documents, and respond to general questions at any of the court locations (see below).


Self-Help Center staff is available from:

Monday-Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm

Self-Help Centers provide procedural guidance on infraction violations at the following locations:


The court provides a variety of online services. Pay your ticket, obtain an extension on your due date, reserve a date to see the judge, access forms, or view your case online.

Courthouse Locations and Hours

You can go to any of the courts (Justice Centers) or Self-Help Centers for assistance with your non-traffic infraction ticket. Even though your offense is not Traffic related, it is filed and processed in the Traffic Division.

Traffic Division Hours:

Monday thru Friday:
8:00am – 4:00pm

To Appear Before a Judge:

You must reserve a court date. To conduct court business via online services, which includes requesting an extension, establishing a payment plan or making a payment, submitting electronic correspondence, submitting proof of correction online, reserving a court date, or setting up automatic reminders for your case(s), access My Court Portal as a guest user or create an account.

Drop Box Information:

Drop boxes or door slots are located at each of the courthouses below, with 24/7 access. Payments, proof of correction (fix-it-tickets) with the correct fee, and properly completed documents placed in drop boxes before 4:00pm on an open court day will be considered received on the same date.

Central Justice Center
700 Civic Center Drive West
Santa Ana, CA 92701

Traffic Division* - 1st Floor
Collections Office - 1st Floor
Self-Help Center - 1st Floor, Room G-100

Harbor Justice Center- Newport Beach Facility
4601 Jamboree Rd. Newport Beach, CA. 92660-2595

Traffic Division* - Outside Windows
Collections Office - 1st Floor

Self-Help – 1st Floor, Room 109, Window #18

North Justice Center
1275 N. Berkeley Ave.
Fullerton, CA 92832-1258

Traffic Division* - Main Entrance of Lower Level
Collections Office - Lower Level (Inside Traffic Division Lobby, Windows 7-10)
Self-Help Center – Upper Level, Room 3

West Justice Center
8141 13th St.
Westminster, CA 92683-4593

Traffic Division* - Outside Windows
Collections Office - 1st Floor


Making payments or Corresponding by Mail:
Superior Court
P.O Box 6040
Newport Beach, CA 92658-6040

*Even though your offense is not Traffic related, it is filed and processed in the Traffic Division.

Forms and Law

Traffic forms are available online. Traffic and Self-Help Center staff can answer general questions if you need help completing forms. See above for locations and hours.


Local Traffic Forms from the Orange County Superior Court Website (Traffic Tab)


State Forms from the California Courts Website


California Statutes - Use this link to read the laws you were charged with violating.
Municipal Code Ordinances-refer to the applicable city or county website.

Traffic Bail (Fines)


CAUTION: Other statutory fees and assessments may also be owing. Use this schedule as a guideline only.

Copy and Record Search Requests


Find information on how to request records and copies of documents.

Additional Resources


The Criminal Section of the California Courts Self-Help Center.


The Court Related External Links section of this website lists state and local BAR Associations, as well as non-profit law agencies which offer lawyer referral services.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.