Self-Help Small Claims
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit the Court’s COVID-19 page for the latest information regarding our available services. You can access the page by clicking here.
For Self-Help Services’ hours of operation and services, please click here
Is Small Claims court right for your situation? This easy online interview will walk you through information, options, and resources available for your legal problem. Includes Small Claims forms.
Did you know that 22% of parties who initiate or respond to a Small Claims Case choose to e-file their documents? If you want to save time and money, you, too can e-file.\
The Self-Help Small Claims section explains:
- How to find alternatives to filing a claim
- How to file and serve a claim
- What happens if you are sued
- How to pay the claim
- Consequences of failing to pay the claim
- How to get ready for trial
- What happens after the trial
- How to collect a judgment
- How to file an appeal
Assistance in Person or Online
EDUCATIONAL VIDEOS ON SMALL CLAIMS:
Resolving Small Claims Cases [5-Parts Video]
SMALL CLAIMS ADVISORS:
The Small Claims Advisors can help you with procedural matters for Small Claims.
SUPERIOR COURT OF ORANGE COUNTY SMALL CLAIMS COURT STAFF:
The Small Claims court staff can assist you in person with forms, filing documents, and procedural matters Monday – Thursday from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., and Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. at the Central Justice Center .
SUPERIOR COURT OF ORANGE COUNTY SELF-HELP CENTERS:
Self-Help Center staff is available to provide procedural guidance and information regarding forms for Small Claims matters. For current information on services, locations, and hours of operation, please visit the court's self-help page.
SUPERIOR COURT OF ORANGE COUNTY WEBSITE:
The court provides a variety of online services. View your case, access and fill out forms, check the court’s calendar and eFile your claim or countersuit.
Small Claims Courthouse Location
As of May 26, 2020, and until further notice, all Small Claims filings will only be provided at Central Justice Center in Santa Ana.
Submission of All Small Claims Related Filings
All filings for small claims matters can be submitted by any of these ways:
- In person at the Center Justice Center (700 Civic Center Drive West, Santa Ana, CA 92701).
- By electronic filing using the Civil eFile website.
- By drop-box located by the front entrance of the Central Justice Center. Provide a phone number for the court to contact.
- By US Mail to 700 Civic Center Drive West, Santa Ana, CA 92701.
Small Claims Forms and Law
- Code of Civil Procedure (Small Claims Sections 116.210-116.950)
- California Rules of Court for Small Claims (Rule 3.2100-3.2120)
- Superior Court of Orange County Local Rules of Court (Rule 341-348)
Copy and Record Search Requests
There are a variety of resources which provide you with information about Small Claims court.
These are just a few:
- Resolving Small Claims Cases [5-Parts Video]
- California Department of Consumer Affairs
- California Courts Self-Help Center
- Law Help California
- State Bar of California
- Legal Aid Small Claims Advisory
- OC District Attorney Real Estate Fraud Report Form
- OCDA Economic Crimes
You may consult an attorney for legal advice on your Small Claims case, but an attorney cannot represent you in Small Claims court, except after a judgment has been entered.
For legal advice, you may contact the following lawyer referral services:
- Orange County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
- State Bar of California Lawyer Referral Service