Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Juvenile Restraining Order

What Is a Juvenile Restraining Order?

A Juvenile Restraining Order is a court order to protect a person suffering unlawful violence or credible threats of violence.

The court can order a person not to:
  • Harass, attack, strike, threaten, assault, hit, follow, stalk, molest, destroy personal property of, disturb the peace of, keep under surveillance or block movements of the protected person.
  • Limit contact or order no contact.
  • Have a gun or ammunition.
  • Move.
  • Stay away from specified locations such as protected person’s workplace or home.
  • Other restrictions.

Juvenile Protective Orders can be issued after a Petition has been filed in either Juvenile Dependency or Delinquency proceedings and prior to the time that the Petition is dismissed or the dependency or wardship is dismissed. The order can last up to three years.

The person requesting the Restraining Order is called the protected person. The person against whom the Restraining Order is sought is called the restrained person.

Who Can Apply For a Restraining Order?

A person who has the following relationship with the child:

  • Mother
  • Father
  • Child
  • Guardian
  • Social worker
  • Probation officer
  • Present caregiver of child
  • Court-appointed special advocate
  • And others who have an interest or relationship to the child

Juvenile Delinquency Protective Orders are usually filed by the District Attorney on behalf of a victim or may be requested by any party involved in the case.

Back to top

Where is a Juvenile Restraining Order Filed?

A Juvenile Restraining Order is filed at the Lamoreaux Justice Center in the Juvenile Division Clerk’s Office. It is filed in the juvenile dependency or delinquency case.


You need to complete:

Steps to Take to Get a Juvenile Restraining Order

For assistance in getting a Juvenile Restraining Order, contact:

  • The District Attorney at the Lamoreaux Justice Center, 341 the City Drive, Orange, CA;
    (714) 935-7624. You can read more about victim/witness rights, including restraining orders on the Orange County District Attorney website.

  • The attorney representing you.

  • The Victim-Witness Office administered by the Community Services Program, Inc. Read more about their services and locations.

  • The Superior Court of Orange County Self-Help Centers can provide you with information.

Back to top

Contesting a Request for a Juvenile Restraining Order Against You

If you are served with an Application for a Juvenile Restraining Order and/or a Restraining Order, you should do the following:

How Do I Get a Copy of a Restraining Order?

If you are in court, you will receive a copy of the Restraining Order. If you are not in court when the judge makes the order, then you may get a copy from your attorney or from the Juvenile Court.

PROTECTED PERSONS SHOULD KEEP A CERTIFIED COPY OF THE ORDER WITH THEM AT ALL TIMES and should also carry a certified copy of the most recent child custody or visitation order issued by the Juvenile, Family or Probate Court.

Back to top

Guns and Firearms

The judge may order that the restrained person not own, possess, buy or try to buy, receive or try to receive, or otherwise get a gun while a Restraining Order is in effect. If a restrained person violates this order, it can result in jail and/or $1,000.00 fine. The restrained person must sell to a licensed gun dealer or turn in to a law enforcement agency any guns or other firearms that he/she has or control in accordance with the order of the court. If the restrained person does not obey the court order, he or she can be charged with a crime.

How to Get More Information

Back to top

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.